i finally got to see arcade fire, one of my all-time favorite bands, in concert. check that one off the bucket list. yesss! they came to mansfield, ma this past tuesday, august 19 as a part of the reflektor tour.
being the music snob that i am, i admit that i wrote down every song in my phone that they played during the concert so i could blog about it later (and also a little part of me wanted to prove that i could name every song they played). well, now it’s later – so here’s the setlist from the show (along with my own thoughts):
1. normal person – one of the better tracks off of reflektor and a good choice of opener.
2. rebellion (lies) – this was the first song i ever heard by them, and subsequently the reason i got hooked. suuuch a good song.
3. joan of arc – decent song that sounded awesome live, the river plays it occasionally so it’s grown on me.
4. we used to wait – love this song. they played clips from the short film scenes from the suburbs during it, and it reminded me how stupid that movie was.
5. the suburbs – love love love love love.
6. the suburbs (continued) – continuous love.
7. ready to start – this was probably my favorite track off of the suburbs. it reminds me of walking around the umass campus in the winter, listening to it on repeat. how nostalgic 😥
8. neighborhood #1 – such a good song. psyched to have heard it live.
9. we exist – kind of a…”whatever” song.
10. no cars go – i was sooo excited that they played this. my personal favorite.
11. haiti – this song reminds me of laying on the beach. really mellow and régine chassagne’s voice sounded beautiful.
12. reflektor – i was never crazy about this song, the title track. or the entire album, really. but it sounded good live.
13. flashbulb eyes – kind of an unremarkable song in my opinion, but the stage visuals were pretty sweet. huge reflectors and flashing lights.
14. my body is a cage intro… – why didn’t they play the whole thing?! huge bummer, especially since it’s one mike wanted to hear.
15. …afterlife – meh. again, not crazy about it, but it sounded good live and i could appreciate it a little more. but i was more bummed that it wasn’t actually my body is a cage that was playing instead.
16. it’s never over – i had never heard this one, and i think it was during this song that i wrote down the setlist…so i tuned out a little.
17. the sprawl ii – another favorite, very happy to have heard it – and régine chassagne can seriously hit the high notes.
18. more than a feeling (boston cover) – they didn’t really perform this, they just played it over the pa system. good song anyway, though.
19. alec eiffel (pixies cover) – i went through an extensive pixies phase my sophomore year of college, but never really dug this song. i’ll check it out again after hearing them cover it.
20. here comes the night time – one of the better songs off of reflektor. they seemed to enjoy performing it.
21. neighborhood #3 – another all time favorite.
22. wake up – from what i’ve researched, they end every show with this. i guess people know it as the where the wild things are song. noticed a lot of people getting really amped up when it came on.
despite my (somewhat) prior knowledge of what i could expect to hear (i did extensive research beforehand from setlist.fm to figure out what i could expect), arcade fire threw in some surprises and put on a great performance. it was basically everything i could have wanted. plus, i had a great concert buddy.
*note to self: get in the pit next time.